YaconViva! COVID-19 Charity Mapathon, May 11th
Please read on to find out how you can support with the Coronavirus response in Peru with nothing more than a laptop, an internet connection and an hour of your time!
As the effects of COVID-19 bite, many parts of the world are less prepared than others to deal with the impacts of the necessary lockdown. In particular, the lack of good quality digital maps is a severe obstacle to helping those in need of crisis support.
As part of the Missing Maps project, the Peruvian government has launched a campaign to complete maps in some of the rural areas around Cusco. These maps are needed to deliver essential cash payments to furloughed workers, and help ensure compliance with the Lockdown.
The YaconViva Mapathon
YaconViva is hosting a Mapathon on Monday 11th May at 8pm UK/2pm Peru, to help with the mapping effort and have some fun! We will be entering all participants into a draw to win a case of our delicious Yacon-sweetened Cacao Nibs
You don't need any prior experience in mapping to join, everything will be explained in advance.
How to take part
- (Recommended) Register at the Facebook event here
- (Ideally before the event) Create an OpenStreetMap account here
- (Recommended) At the start of the event join the conference call details below. We'll talk you through how to map and best practices.
- When you're ready to map, click on on our selected Task 8554 (here). Chrome is recommended. Grab a drink and get mapping!
- Every time you finish a map cell, add the tag #yv
You can map whenever you want once you've got the idea, it's a great way to spend that free lockdown time!
It's easiest to join as a guest unless you already have a Microsoft Teams account. If you have any difficulties, try signing out of your Microsoft account and joining as a guest.
Note: It's recommended to use Chrome or Edge or the Teams client to join. Or you can dial in using a telephone as a last resort