Low (ish!) sugar Christmas Cake with Yacon
It’s almost Stir Up Sunday, and this Christmas cake is made to impress. Packed full of nuts and made with YaconViva’s Yacon Syrup for a lower sugar twist (at least until you add the icing!), it’s perfect for dark December evenings.
Read more at MyWeekly
For the cake
- 200g self raising flour
- 100g light brown caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 2tbsp milk
- 2 eggs
- 1tbsp cinnamon
- 100g sultanas
- 5 pitted dates
- 2 handfuls of mixed nuts
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 2tbsp YaconViva Syrup
- A pinch of salt
For the topping
- Around 4tbsp apricot jam
- 500g pack golden marzipan
For the icing
- 675g icing sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1tsp lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 170ºC (150ºC fan) and grease a deep cake tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, YaconViva Yacon Syrup, milk and butter. Put to one side.
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Slowly fold in to the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Mix in the dried fruit, nuts and orange zest.
- When all combined and a sticky consistency, transfer to the greased cake tin.
- Bake in the oven for one hour, using a knife to check it’s cooked. If the knife comes out clean then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Leave the cake to cool thoroughly for at least a couple of hours and remove from the tin.
- When cooled, spread the apricot jam over the cake ready to bind the icing.
- Dust the countertop with icing sugar to ensure no sticking and knead the marzipan to make it mouldable. Then, using a rolling pin, roll the marzipan into a thin even layer (approx 2cm thick) and large enough to completely cover the cake.
- Layer the marzipan on the cake, then pop more apricot jam on top ready to cement the icing layer on top.
- To make the icing: whisk the egg whites until frothy, adding the icing sugar slowly. Add the lemon juice and beat until the mixture is stiff and stands up.
- As with the marzipan layer, roll on a dusted counter down to a thin, even layer (approx 2cm thick). Pop on top of the jam-covered marzipan layer.
- Trim any overflowing icing and marzipan layers to size. Decorate with YaconViva’s Cacao Nibs and your favourite festive treats!